Last week was a quiz from the Catster Magazine. There were four answers to each question. Let’s see what the magazine said about your choices.
1. Your weather app indicates it’s going to be a scorcher of a day. Your home isn’t air conditioned, so how do you keep your cat comfortable?
a. Place fans near their favorite resting spots as well as food and water dishes. (Excellent)
b. Place one fan by their food and water dishes so they can feel cool while they drink and eat. (Good)
2. You have to leave for several hours, and the temps are escalating. What kind of cool treat should you leave for your kitty?
a. Leave catsicles in their dishes. (Excellent) This is frozen cat food.
b. Refrigerated cat food. (Good)
3. The heat is boiling and even indoor cats have an increased need for fresh water during the summer months. How do you keep your cat’s water dish cool and refreshing while you’re away from home?
a. Place ice cubes in a cat fountain which provides a constant flow of oxygenated water. (Excellent)
b. Place ice cubes in your cat’s water bowl. (Good)
4. Signs of heatstroke include panting, lethargy, drooling, fever, vomiting, and collapsing. How do you protect your cat’s rising body temp from the dog days of summer?
a. Place frozen water bottles in their cat bed and other regular resting places. (Excellent)
b. Regularly rub your kitty with a cool washcloth. (Good)
5. Your cat needs comfortable places to sleep during a heat wave. How do you help that hot cat find his cool while you’re gone for the day?
a. Make sure rooms with cool floors, like basements, are readily available. (Excellent)
b. Move kitty’s food and litter box to the bathroom creating a cozy sanctuary with cool sinks and tubs for napping. (Good)
6. Families can become busy during the summer, but cats still need play and interaction. What’s the best way to keep your cat active during hot weather?
a. Encourage play during the cooler hours of the morning and evening. (Excellent)
b. Place their interactive toys in the coolest parts of your home. (Good)
7. It’s unavoidable. You have to take your cat on a long car ride, and the heat is miserable. What’s your plan?
a. Keep the air conditioning blasting in the car so you and kitty don’t melt. (Excellent)
b. If there’s no AC in the car, attach a portable fan to the carrier. (Good)
If you are doing all of the above things to keep your kitty comfortable during even the hottest days, you’re on top of what it takes. Good for you!! A answers are what you want to strive for. Look into purchasing a water fountain; it’s a good investment. The C and D answers on last week’s quiz indicate that your cat is very uncomfortable and you need to make some improvements. Sometimes…………..
Hope this helps with some ideas for keeping your cat cool. Do you do any of these things already or do you have some other ideas? Let us know.
Marion Lovato is the author of Sam, the Superkitty. Her book describes an ordinary cat changing into a superhero to protect his family from things that go bump in the night. Available on Amazon as a paperback or Kindle edition. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1604588667